DogTime Blogs

Monday, April 6, 2009

Dangerous Pet Turtles

Children are often drawn to the very cute pet turtle. Their slow and harmless nature seem perfect for a child.

Unfortunately, they naturally carry harmful bacteria, Salmonella. These bacteria can cause serious gastrointestinal tract disease that results in severe diarrhoea, fever, vomiting and dehydration.

According to the FDA, over 70,000 cases of Salmonella are reported each year in the USA.

If you have a turtle, make sure you:
1. Wash your hands with soap after playing and before eating
2. Regularly clean the turtle's environment

Further information at the CDC

No comments:

Post a Comment